Tuesday, June 30, 2009

No Sex in Kenya

There is an opinion piece in today's Inquirer about how the women of Kenya united in a no sex protest in order to demand an end to the civil conflict in their country. It sounds like the plot of Aristophanes' Lysistra, but this is for real in Kenya in 2009. It is fascinating to see women speaking up in places where their voices are rarely heard. (40% of the protesters in Iran are estimated to have been women.) In so many places, but in Africa in particular, rape has become a tactic of war, rather than a tragic by-product. So, it amazing to see women from all classes united in this surprising ban. How very empowering it must feel to them. Even the Prime Minister's wife has expressed her support. Sex workers received financial compensation from an activist group so that they could participate in the sex boycott. It is really an innovative way to be heard. Let's hear it for the women.

Any thoughts?

You can read the article at
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20090630_No_peace__no_sex_in_Kenya.html

6 comments:

  1. It's an interesting idea, but I can't help but think that it has the potential to wildly backfire. Kenya is a place where rape is common and women have few rights. Why should women think that witholding consensual sex would do anything other than create more situations where men resort to rape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a valid point. However, in a society where women have few rights, it is amazing that women had the courage/nerve/vision and organization to pull off something like this. The long terms effects of feeling empowered, possibly for the first time, may have long range effects on society. I think it is worth the risk. Of course, that is easy for me to say in the comfort of 2009 America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that if a man is going to rape a woman he probably would do it with or without a sex ban. I think this is great. They are taking what they have and using it for peace. Now they could have power in their sexuality.... for many this is all they have anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Bunny. I don't think a one week sex ban is going to turn a man into a rapist. I understood why Dave raised the concern, but I don't agree. I am hoping this is part of homegrown women's movements which seem to be popping up in various places in Africa: election of Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, WOZA's opposition to Mugabe, the organization in Senagal which is fighting FGM etc. It has to be good when half the population begins to find its voice by whatever means works for them. I also thinks it says a great deal about human nature that this is happening in 2009 and resembles Aristophanes' play from around 500 BCE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colbert interviewed Leymah Gbowee about the sex strike in Liberia last night. I hope it works, or at least doesn't backfire...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Ilana. I will see if I can get it on the computer. Some day, I have to get Comedy Central. I still have the copy you made of Nick Kristof on Colbert two years ago. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete