Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Jacob Zuma and AIDS

Yesterday, on World AIDS Day, Jacob Zuma, president of South Africa, announced a surprising plan for fighting HIV/AIDS in his country which is the nation with the largest number of HIV positive people in the world. The new policy calls for earlier treatment for pregnant women who are HIV positive and medical treatment for ALL babies born HIV positive. Finally there is hope for these youngest victims of a disease which infects one in ten South Africans. This is an amazing and welcome change in a nation where the health minister once argued that AIDS could be cured by garlic and beet root. And Zuma is the most unlikely of heroes in this battle against the disease. When he was tried for the rape of an HIV positive woman in 2006, he testified that he had prevented himself from getting the disease by taking a shower after having sex. I criticized and mocked Zuma's ignorant attitude on many occasions. Today, I am pleased to say such positive things about him. I will be very happy if it turns out that I was wrong about him.

1 comment:

  1. When I read this the other day I couldn't stop smiling. Has Zuma finally realized that AIDS might need a bit more than a shower? I really wonder what got to him, or if international pressure is finally making an impact. I'm also excited to see for myself how this is going to effect South Africans in March! I'll let you know.

    Michelle H

    ReplyDelete