Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Afghanistan

Finally, President Barack Obama has announced his policy on Afghanistan. What Dick Cheney called "dithering", Obama called "deliberating." In brief, Obama calls for an escalation of troops to stabilize the situation in Afghanistan, the establishment of a stable and non-corrupt government and the development of home grown security forces. All this will be done by 2011 and then American troops will begin to be withdrawn.

It is difficult for me to approve of the increase of "boots on the ground", but in this case, I don't see how this could be avoided. If we just leave Afghanistan with its borders touching Iran, Pakistan and Russia, I believe the nation will implode and the Taliban will be back in power quickly, threatening Pakistan (and its nukes) with the support of Iran. So, I think our presence is a necessary evil because the alternative is simply unacceptable. One part of the plan which I find very hopeful is the increase in development workers, not must military personnel. In the long run, I think schools like the ones built by Greg Mortenson or the scarves and gloves given out to children are more likely to deter future potential terrorists than all the bullets in the world. So, I guess I am cautiously supportive of what seems like the best of the bad options Obama had.

What do you think of the Obama plan for Afghanistan?

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, I am not terribly impressed. I believe Nick Kristof had an article reciently about how we've been focusing so much on the numbers without thinking about what the troops are doing. One of my teachers here has been to Afganistan as an elections monitor, and remembers seeing soldiers in the capital doing souvenier shopping in full combat gear- maybe not the greatest way to win hearts and minds. So I will wait to see what those troops do rather than get excited over numbers.
    But Barak Obama wants Afganistan to be peaceful, uncorrupt and democratic? Well, if he wanted it to be violent and authoritarian that would be a shock.
    I do like though that he pointed out the differences to Vietnam. A president who understands a little bit of history and cultural context? I'm still happy I voted for him.

    ReplyDelete