Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Blood Diamonds

Charles Taylor, former president of Liberia, took the stand in his war crimes trial in the Hague today. 91 witnesses have already testified against him including a man who had stumps where his hands used to be and a woman who was forced to carry a bag of severed heads including those of her own children. Taylor caused havoc and terror in neighboring Sierra Leone through the use of child soldiers (Ishmael Beah), terror, torture, mutilation and sexual slavery. It was not for any political gain nor was it an ethnic conflict. It was to get his hands on Sierra Leone's diamonds, later labeled "blood diamonds" for the cost and toll they took. He has been charged with 11 counts of specific war crimes. He is the second head of state and the first African head of state to be put on trial by an international court. I did not know if I would ever see it because it is so hard to tie the crimes directly back to him, but the prosecutors seem confident that they have sufficient evidence. I think it is a real victory for the victims and for international justice. I heard some of his testimony on NPR this morning. If you believe him, he was trying to be a peacemaker and was "too busy defending democrcay" to keep an eye on atrocities committed on his watch. He made it sound as though he should get the Nobel Peace Prize. This trial may set a precedent for autocrats who should be held responsible for what happens while they are running things. I hope Bashir is watching.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you in hoping that this may set a precedent for bringing justice to the many dictators and brutal leaders that have "governed" so many countries in Africa. I work with many kids and young adults from Liberia when I am at school in Providence, and also heard their new president, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, speak at Brown. She seems like she may be able to finally give the country a fresh start, although they have a long way to go. I hope for their sake that this trial will help in maintaining peace and stability in Liberia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I'm with you, Ambika. That is why I could not believe it when Ellen Johnson Sirleaf was cited by the initial (and quickly withdrawn) report by Liberia's Truth and Reconciliation Commission. I would love an opportunity to hear her speak some time. Maybe she will come to Penn. Nick Kristof and his wife are going to speak at the World Affairs Council in October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people in my Dad's Church's congregation are from Liberia. They have fled the country because of Charles Taylor and hope to get the rest of their families out of Liberia to America. They have been trying for over six years and the government will not let them go. I hate to see families torn apart by something they had nothing to do with. It makes me both furious and sad. I pray that they will be able to come here, but it looks like it will be longer than they expected.

    ReplyDelete