Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reporter

I just saw the documentary, “Reporter” which follows Nick Kristof and two of the “winners” of his Win a Trip with Nick Kristof to east Congo, specifically the area of Kiva around Goma. There is so much in it that I hardly know where to begin. For people interested in writing and in journalism (or worried about the future of journalism), Nick shares his own philosophy on writing and how it is based in recent research on what reaches people and causes them to become compassionate enough to act. The film follows the trio to a meeting with the warlord, Laurent Nkunda in his camp. It was unnerving to watch them saying grace before meals and hear them describe themselves as “Christian rebels.” They even had a room designated as a chapel, and Nkunda described himself as their pastor! Anyone familiar with the war in east Congo knows how many deaths, rapes and mutilations Nkunda’s militia has been responsible for.

As with Darfur, what would we know about this war if Nick and the very few others (if any) who are willing to go there to shine a light on what is actually happening. To be a witness for the rest of the world. It reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from my absolutely favorite book, “To Kill A Mockingbird.” Talking to Jem and Scout, the neighbor, Miss Maudie, describes what Atticus is doing in defending Tom Robinson this way: “...some men in this world are born to do our unpleasant jobs for us...” I believe Nick Kristof fits that characterization for our 21st century world.

I have a copy of the movie because a good friend taped it for me when it was on HBO. If anyone wants to borrow it or can figure out a way we can watch it together (at Central perhaps), let me know.

1 comment: